Ruth Steinberg is an Ottawa based photographer who works primarily in portraiture and the figure. She holds a BFA from the University of Manitoba and a diploma from the School of the Photographic Arts Ottawa (SPAO). She has exhibited in Canada and the US, in group and solo shows. She was the Artist in Residence, Short-term Projects at Enriched Bread Artists in Ottawa, ON during the fall of 2014, where she initiated the series What the Body Remembers.
“The artists that first inspired me — Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Mary Ellen Mark, Diane Arbus, Sebastiao Salgado — still influence me today. What I have learned from their images is to see the grace and dignity in all beings and to bring this consciousness to my own work.”
Exhibitions and Artist Talks:
– CONTINUUM: An exhibition of emerging artists selected by past winners of the Karsh Award, Karsh-Masson Gallery, September 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
– Intimate Portraits; group show, Photo Place Gallery, Middlebury Vermont, April 2017
– Pas de Deux/Tango; solo show, Atrium Gallery, Ottawa, Feb 2017
– Paysage, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, February 2017
– Portraits for Jacques Brel, Gladstone Theatre, Ottawa, Nov 2016
-Transience, on-line exhibition, L. A. Photo Curator, Los Angeles, Sept 2016
– Reveal, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, August 2015
– What the Body Remembers, Artist Talk, Studio Sixty Six, Ottawa, April 2015
– Développé, National Arts Centre, Ottawa, Sept 2014
– Exhibit #9, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2014
– Unseen, La Petite Mort Gallery, Ottawa, March 2014
– Exhibit #8, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2013